Saturday, September 26, 2009

Saturday Postgame: Week 4

Iowa. Iowa. Again. Iowa. So aggravating.

I didn't know how to feel about this year's Penn State team. I knew a #5 ranking was too high, but I didn't expect the offensive egg they laid. Yikes. They'll lose a few more before the season's out. And I can't put my finger on what it is that's missing. Talent? Check. Speed? Check. Experience? Check, at least in the backfield. Play calling? Check - the offense is much more open than a typical Paterno team and the play calling is diverse. I think it comes down to 2 things. First, the offensive line just isn't there much of the time. They show flashes of brilliance, which shows the potential they have, but for most of the night they were dominated by the strong Iowa defensive front. Second is the wide receivers. They're talented and could turn out to be nearly as productive as the studs who just graduated, but they have big strides to make. Tonight they just couldn't seem to get separation in the secondary, and as a result Clark was forced to hold the ball longer, take sacks, throw under pressure, and force throws. Those two areas come together, and PSU will be ok. They don't, and it could be an 8-4 year. We'll see.

Losing hurts, especially if you think your team might have a shot at the national title. And you have a coach who you know is holding on for that one last shot. Last year hurt a lot worse than this one, and the 1999 loss to Minnesota when I was a student hurt 100 times worse than that. When I was a sophomore and our season was killed in November by Minnesota, it literally felt like someone died. I went through mourning and actual pain. Kind of sad if you think about it - that a football loss would affect a person that much. Yet people - fans, I'm talking about, players will understandably take losses harder as they are the ones putting their labor and heart into the games - fans get despondent, depressed, sometimes even near-suicidal when their team takes a tough, season crushing loss. The reverse is true too - we tie our happiness or even self-worth to the success of our teams. What does that indicate about what we value most highly in life? We sometimes take sports losses harder than deaths in the family. Sadly, I'm guilty of that - that Penn State loss, in some ways, stuck with me longer than grandparents' deaths.

I love sports, but this is one of the parts of the sports culture we live in that annoys me. There is so much more in life and so many greater things to live for. Yes, sports are emotional and that certainly plays a part, but to reach such low lows and high highs, to me, indicates a priority problem. Thankfully, I don't take losses so hard and wins so ecstatically anymore (most of the time). I'm into the game and emotional about it, but I've gained lots of perspective over the past 10 years or so. My life revolves around a greater purpose and bigger priorities now. Chiefly that's come because of a relationship with Jesus that began for me in college. I live now with a perspective on eternity, not simply the here and now, and there is a deeper, fuller satisfaction and purpose that has come in following Christ. Having a family has added new perspective and values too. Some men never seem to make that transition, living hollow lives revolving around sports or experiences or accumulation of wealth or possessions, even with family or religion or community involvement in their lives. I hope more men make those priority shifts - our lives and our society would be better off for it.

And on to a few other observations and thoughts from the crazy weekend...

I certainly was right about my "Upset Saturday" claim in my Wednesday post, only I wish some of the actual results of those upsets were different. I'm relying on Texas Tech to pull it out in Houston to give me an above .500 record for the week. That's what happens when you call a weekend full of upsets then forecast many of the wrong ones. You end up doubling your losses - losing both the perceived upsets and the real ones you didn't call. At least I can take comfort in that I wasn't that far off. And I did nail the Ole Miss and Cal losses. Some consolation.

With everyone jumping onto the Miami bandwagon at the same time, the dang thing tipped over. In hindsight, should it not have been at least a bit alarming that everyone was talking up the Canes and no one raised any red flags? It was two games! They suddenly were getting votes for number 1! Oh, to be able to turn back the clock - I'd have looked so smart.

I made a bonus pick on Wednesday that one of the following four would lose: Florida, LSU, Michigan, and Cincinnati. The results? Florida won easily, but the other 3 were leaning on the ropes pretty heavily. LSU was about an inch shy of losing in Starkville. Michigan got the benefit of a generous, to say the least, call that resulted in a game clinching pick. Cincinnati was pushed to the end by a very good but very unfortunate Fresno State team. So close!

Jacory Harris had a terrible week, meaning he's off the Heisman hopeful list for the time being. Replacing him as the darkhorse candidate? Blaine Gabbert of Missouri.

TCU took a big step in proving they're the real deal. With a road win against a good Clemson team in their back pocket, an undefeated run through the MWC will get them into a BCS bowl, and a very outside shot at entering the championship game conversation.

Notre Dame snuck another one out, but they're not a complete team yet. 8-4 would be a good season the way they look now.

The whole college football landscape may hinge on the diagnosis of Tim Tebow. Florida hasn't looked unbeatable with him, and would be extremely vulnerable without him. If he's out for a lengthy time, the national championship picture is really wide open.

How did Ohio State not beat USC? The Trojans haven't exactly cruised against Washington State, aka the worst BCS conference team in the history of conference play, and this after a loss to a Washington team that got housed by Stanford. Ohio State has pitched shutouts the last 2 weeks. I think the Buckeyes lost simply because of a mental barrier.

Look out for Oregon. 42-3 over Cal will open some eyes. They're suddenly the top dog in the Pac Ten. Who would have thunk that 3 weeks ago? And Boise State is loving it.

Last year Maryland had an on-again, off-again relationship with football, appearing to field an entirely different team each week. One terrible, one electric. This year's Maryland? Florida State.

53 seconds left in Houston...waiting to end the post until those run off.

And Houston comes back to win, sticking me with a losing record for just the second time in 2 seasons. Upset Saturday indeed.

No comments: